Saturday 9 April 2011

"Jaws" cuffs


"Jaws" cuffs
Originally uploaded by Asplund
Thanks everyone for all your positive comments on my previous post - I appreciate them very, very much!

Ron asked about the cuffs, so here's a photo to show what I did: I took a row of "teeth" from the body (slightly thinner needles) and made it smaller, six stitches wide instead of eight. Then I knitted stranded stripes, cast off loosely and sewed it in place.

One of the many things I love about this yarn, BC Shetlandsuld, is how soft it becomes after washing. It's a bit rough to work with - which is a good thing in my opinion. I'm not very fond of slippery fibres like baby alpaca.


I think Marianne Isager would recognize her design "Andes" from Inca Knits in spite of my modifications, in short:
  • Colours (completely different, 7 instead of 4, and a slightly different colour sequence).
  • Rows knitted sideways on front and back not garter stitch but stranded colourwork.
  • Sleeves in stranded colourwork, not garter stitch.
  • Neckband split in front to match bottom border splits.
  • Cuffs in “tooth” pattern to echo the front and back.

8 comments:

Kuninganna said...

Very, very beautifyl!!! I like it!

Marika said...

Visst kan man känna igen den, men din är snyggare!

fluffbuff said...

I love the sleeves. I hope you are happy with the sweater; you should be. :)

Anonymous said...

Magnifique !

ylva said...

Så snygga färger du fått ihop! Och mudden är väääldigt tilltalande.Har idagarna också upptäckt vad mjukt shetlandsullen blev efter tvätt! Tunnt ,mjukt och lagom varmt:)

Buck Strong said...

I love all the little extras that you add in like these cuffs. I don't think it would occur to me to add these in. They are just so cool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us the construction. Very beautiful. I knit a lot with Shetland wool and I imagine it is the same type. I love the roughness in my hands while knitting and after a wash and rinse (I use hair conditioner) it is so lovely and soft. You are an inspiration.
Ron

Luisa said...

beautiful! I am head over heels at those sleeves!