Saturday 26 December 2009

The second time around


Originally uploaded by Asplund

I'm taking liberties with Marianne Isager's design "Honey" from her book Classic Knits, original Danish title Strik à la carte.

Apart from making a vest instead of a cardigan, I've added repeats to the garter stitch bottom border (three instead of one) and made the edging significantly narrower. Now, I love her design, I just like experimenting to see what happens too!

However, I didn't quite like my first version to the left - which is what often happens when I experiment. The bottom border is too similar to the main pattern in stocking stitch, and I wanted the two sections to look slightly more different but still blend. Therefore, I added two rows of purple in the version to the right. Not an enormous change, but all the same I like it a lot better.

Edited to add:

Heureka! I just found my tape measure, which has been missing for a couple of days.

This must have seemed like a good place to keep it safe at the time, but apparently it was a little bit too good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, like the one on the right. I think you are wise to use a pattern as a starting point and I wish more people would. Few of us have the perfect form that things are designed for and even basic changes should be made in the design shape. If I were a designer, I would appreciate people running off in different directions with a design because it would mean that the design could handle itself and still be recognized after many alterations and changes. Glad you found your tape. It does seem like a good spot.
Ron in Mexico

Asplund said...

Many good points, Ron!

Actually, a major reason I started modifying patterns was that nothing really fitted me when I followed patterns: got a small/medium chest, medium/large shoulders and need large/xlarge sleeve length!

In a way I'm happy about it, because practically having to make changes was a good way for me to develop my knitting skills.

Anonymous said...

I really like the slip stitch pattern! And the subtle color variation in the purple is simply sublime.

(loving the cats in the background of the second picture, as well)

Asplund said...

Thanks, mildawg! I'm very fond of subtle variations in colour too. Those cats are on a wonderful fairly small wool blanket I couldn't resist a few years ago. It didn't occur to me until the other day it would make a great background in pictures!

KiwiJames said...

I am constantly misplacing my tape measure too... I have about five of them in various places around the house and invariably can not find any of them when I need them!

Love the new masthead picture on the blog.