Wednesday 13 May 2009

The Foster Knitter


Sleeping Beauty
Originally uploaded by
Asplund
This knitting was once started by Ebba while she was living in Spain. A mother of four she never finished the project, but it was left like this – in 1922!

Yesterday two of her daughters asked me if I'd be interested in trying to finish it, so now it’s in my happy hands. There are some handwritten notes, but they are difficult to decipher; however, I’ve knitted similar patterns before and can continue knitting it. Words can't express what it feels like being trusted with a knitting project that's been kept for more than 80 years.

The main problem is that I don’t know what kind of garment it was meant to be. Well, "problem" is not the right word, since I’m happily intrigued by the project and like the challenge. One piece is finished and there seems to be enough yarn for a small sweater with short sleeves, so I’m going to search for vintage knitting patterns from the 20’s for inspiration. Low-cut? V-neck?

I’ve never seen a “yarn bracelet” before, a kind of cross to wind yarn around attached to it with a short chain, but I think it’s brilliant! Does anyone know if there's a name for it?

6 comments:

ylva said...

Cooolt! Looking forward to see what it´s going to be.

Åsa i Skuttunge said...

Det är nästan som en detektivroman - vad kan det bli på slutet??

RodPrjónar said...

How is this great project going on?

Torhild Reidardatter said...

A yarn bracelet seems like the one they use on Faroe Islands - one the knitter can "hook" on to a belt or something so that they can knit while walking.
Smart it is.. and knitting something started 80 years ago is almost holy and must be very fulfilling. Happy knitting

Asplund said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone! Actually, I still haven't started knitting - I pick it up every one and then to admire it and think about what to do with it! I'm eager to start, but at the same time I want to give it my very best so I make an effort to hold back. (Not known to do that when it comes to knitting...)

kris said...

A woman in my LYS knitting group is knitting an old English 1920-40s pattern that reminds me of this. Old shale (or old shell), now called feather and fan....
I think it is a simple pullover lace shell with three-quarter sleeves and an attached narrow scarf to tie in a bow. I'll ask her on next Wednesday when I see her...she collects and knits old patterns.